A5 Strengthening of plane RC elements against impact on the impact-far side
in cooperation with
Backside of normal concrete slabs after drop-weight tower tests; Left to right: unreinforced, with additional reinforcement made of steel, or carbon fiber layers
The goal of the project is to demonstrate the fundamental performance of flat reinforcement layers made of carbon or steel filament rovings embedded in cementitious matrices as strengthening layer. Initially, systematic experimental investigations have to be carried out in order to produce a broad data base for further consideration.
Particular attention is paid to the damage process and the degree of damage and the expected membrane effect of the reinforcing layer. The observed phenomena are depicted in a physically based engineering model (multi-mass oscillator). Recommendations for constructive details and the definition of application limits complete the project.
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Hering, M., Kühn, T., Häntzschel, T., Neumann, F. Häußler-Combe, U., Curbach, M.: Dynamisches Verhalten von Stahlbetonplatten. Beton- und Stahlbetonbau 114 (3) (2019), DOI: 10.1002/best.201800104.
- Hering, M., Bracklow, F., Kühn, T, Curbach, M.: Impact experiments with reinforced concrete plates of different thicknesses. Structural Concrete (2019), first publ. online: 3.11.2019, DOI:10.1002/suco.201900195.
- Hering, M., Kühn, T, Curbach, M.: Small-scale plate tests with fine concrete in experiment and first simplified simulation. Structural Concrete (2020), first publ. online: 23.2.2020, DOI:10.1002/suco.201900333.
- Kühn, T., Hering, M., Häußler-Combe, U., Curbach, M.: Dynamic behaviour of reinforced slabs – blast testing. 5th International Conference on Protective Structures ICPS5 19-13 (2018) Poznan, Poland.
- Hering, M., Curbach, M.: A new testing method for textile reinforced concrete under impact load. International Conference on Concrete Repair, Rehabilitation and Retrofitting (2018) Cape Town, South Africa, DOI 10.1051/matecconf/201819911010.
- Hering, M., Curbach, M.: Strengthening of RC plates with mineral-bonded composite layers for enhanced impact safety. 10th International Conference on Advanced Models and New Concepts in Concrete and Masonry Structures AMCM (2020) Lublin, Poland – under review.
- Curosu, I., Mechtcherine, V, Hering, M., Curbach, M.: Mineral-bonded composites for enhanced structural impact safety – Overview of the format, goals and achievements of the research group GRK 2250. In Pijaudier-Cabot et al. (eds.) 10th International Conference on Fracture Mechanics of Concrete and Concrete Structures FraMCoS-X, Bayonne, France, 23-26 June, 2019.
- Hering, M., Kühn, T., Häußler-Combe, U., Curbach, M.: Reinforced concrete plates under impact load – damage quantification. 6th International Conference on Protective Structures (2020) Auburn, USA – under review.